I’m pleased a couple of my castings look like the originals they are based on

All I did was carve the stone mould based on the period design and I made what is probably the same mistake that the original mould maker did, in that neither are quite symmetrical, simple though that is to do when you have a ruler. Maybe he didn’t have a ruler and compass and protractor.  All I used was a ruler to measure the lengths of the sides and width, but didn’t concern myself with getting the angles precisely correct, and unsurprisingly the result was not symmetrical.

Here is a photograph of the belt spangles:

belt splangles made by me

Here are the Museum of London Dress Accessories book drawings:

belt spangle mol bookbelt spangle book 2

Also a side view of the left hand one:

belt splangle side view

Note that I need to carve the decorative bumps deeper. What I also realised though is that the bump that is almost outside the diamond shape just kind of happens if your hand slips slightly when trying to drill such a hole (by twisting a pointed iron tool around in your fingers). The side view also shows how thin a casting you can get by using a stone mould.

Here it is, the face part of a three part mould:

belt spangles mould

I have deduced from the ridges on finds that a three part mould is what was used for many of these things.  Now all I need to do is carve moulds for a dozen or two more, to have some variety.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s